Let’s call this a thesis statement. I make because
- If I’m making, I can’t be self-destructive. I can’t be lazy. I have to pay attention. I have to pay attention to what’s right in front of me, not things out of my control.
- I can sleep soundly knowing that no child labor or exploitative labor went into what goes on my back.
- I can wear clothes that fit me, instead of some statistical interpretation of what human bodies should do.
- I support small businesses.
- It’s a form of resistance — I get to choose my participation in the fashion economy.
- It makes me feel connected to those close to me when I build something for them.
- It enables a reuse, reduce, recycle mentality. Muslin test garments become shop rags. Old sheets become linings. Failed sweaters become felt padding.
- It lets me salvage fine technology from the scrap heap.